Sunday 27 May 2012

Free London Attractions - #8 - St James's Park



London has an abundance of glorious parks across all parts of the City, each offering ample activities to participate in or just the chance to sit and watch the world go by. The most famous is probably "Hyde Park" with "Speakers Corner" a must visit experience on a Sunday morning. The speakers range from religious zealots, those with political agendas to the downright bizarre and outrageous. The audience interaction makes this far more entertaining than it sounds as barracking and heckling make it interesting and fun.

However my favourite is the beautiful St James's park, set just off the Mall , surrounded by 3 palaces....Westminster (Houses of Parliament), St James and of course the best known, Buckingham Palace.
This is the oldest Royal park in London and although not as big as some of the others it still has plenty to offer in respect of beautiful scenery and wildlife. This makes it a perfect location for a picnic, a leisurely walk or maybe a relaxing sit on the benches listening to the soothing birdsong .


The lake and its surroundings house an abundance of wildlife particularly water birds such as Swans, Herons and Ducks. Also on the park are Pelicans which can be seen fed near Duck Island cottage at 2.30 every day.

The park is open from 5am to midnight all year round

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog my friend! London has a lot of attractions for visiting. It is my favourite city in the world. I mostly visit in London on my holidays. This year I visit in this city before my niagara falls both sides tour with my uncle. The St James’s Park is a nice and famous place in this city but my favourite park is Hyde Park. This park is one of the largest parks in London and one the Royal Park in this city. One of the most important events to take place in the park was the Great Exhibition of 1851. The Crystal Palace was constructed on the south side of the park. If my again chance to go there so I must visit St James's Park. Thanks for this nice sharing.

    ReplyDelete